Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Artist Statement

Throughout my freshman year, I have applied myself to be in both the 3D art and the 2D art classes offered to those in my grade. As I made my way through 2D art, I never saw myself wanting to do another 2D class again. But in my 2nd semester I took part in the 3D class and had set goals to take more 3D classes my following years in high school. Next year, as a sophomore, I signed up to take the ceramics class in hopes to enjoy working with clay once again. I have learned a lot about art this year, including its definition that was explained in both of the classes. The definition of art is a type of exercise used to display your feelings to the public without having to vocally say them. That means I could express my feelings in the way I molded the clay or through brushstrokes on a painting. In 2D art, I had never truly found an inspiration due to the fact that most of the artist we had learned about happened to be old and dead. At the beginning of 3D art, I did take a specific interest in the secret artist named Banksy. He was probably my greatest influence throughout 3D art. He had been able to hide from view of the public for many years while still being able to make artwork on the city buildings. One thing about him that caught my attention was that he had a voice in his artwork. He always managed to talk about social or environmental struggles in the world through his artwork. His voice always stood out in his artwork unlike no other artist I had seen, which is probably what made him my favorite. Most artists try their best to speak through their artwork, which some fall short of. That is the real reason for art though for most people. They want to be able to voice their opinion about something without having to actually speak about it.


As I made my way through my semester in 3D art, I realized that my skills and my ways of doing things seemed to change dramatically. At the beginning of the semester, I was just throwing things together and calling them art, thinking that it was good enough. But by now, I see my last few pieces of art have their own voice in them. I never really had a theme in all of my artwork though. It was all sorts of different ideas and issues that the world was facing or that I was personally facing. I never stuck to just one tool or way of working things either. I always switched things around to find which one best suit the idea I was going for. I always was experiencing new ways to do things to. I had never used melted wax on our encaustics before and that was a very new experience for me. And quite frankly, I was worried that it would turn out to just be a hunk of garbage due to my lack of experience with the wax. But in the end it turned out well from what I think.


I believe that my personal life experiences helped out during both of my semesters of art as inspiration. One of my pieces directly related to my relationship with my boyfriend. It also happened to be my favorite piece I did. I had created two conjoined hands sitting on a base out of clay and had molded out the numbers for my anniversary with my boyfriend which was May 10th, 2014. I then has to glaze it, which wasn’t my best work to be honest. I very much enjoyed working with clay this semester, another reason why I’m taking ceramics my sophomore year. Throughout the year though, I have seen my artwork getting better and better with time and comfort. Another one of my favorite pieces that I did was the plaster hand. It was our last assignment we had to do this year, which also took the most time. I had to restart my hand three different times because I kept messing up with the position I had wanted my hand to be in. My piece had been about the Earth and how whatever happens to it is on us. There had been writing on the stand which I had painted that read: “The world is in our hands.” Everything that we do affects the Earth, whether it be driving a car or cutting down a few trees. It all will come back on us one day too. Although I struggled with this piece, I believe it turned out very well. One of my weaknesses throughout the class had to be my lack in artistic skill though. I never had really been the best at drawing growing up, which is why I enjoyed 3D art more than 2D. You never had to sit there for hours and draw out something. It was more of a hands on kind of process. Although I enjoyed both 2D and 3D art, I would have to say that my time in 3D art was my favorite. I met many different people and made new friends. I was also about to create different types of artwork throughout the year and has opened me up into a whole new world. I look forward to taking ceramics next year, in which I will use the lessons learned in 2D and 3D art. 


                                                                   Plaster Hand



                                                                 Metal Metaphor


                                                               Metal Encaustics


                                                        Identity Project Using Molds

No comments:

Post a Comment